Jiangping Zhou is now Assistant Professor in Community and Regional Planning, Sustainable Environments and Transportation at Iowa State University, the USA. Beginning in June 2015, he will be a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Urban Planning at the School of Geography, Planning and Environmental Management, University of Queensland, Australia. His primary research interests are in sustainable urban and transportation systems and associated policy and planning studies. Jiangping has authored and co-authored over eighty scholarly articles, and his research has appeared in peer reviewed journals such as Journal of American Planning Association, Environment and Planning A, Urban Geography, Journal of Urban Planning and Development, Transport Policy and Transportation Research A/D. Jiangping’s most recent research efforts focus on qualifying and quantifying urban form, commuting efficiency and their determinants through the analytical lens of emerging data sources and through case studies and surveying of users and experts.
Jiangping Zhou serves on the congestion pricing committee of Transportation Research Board, the USA and editorial boards of China City Planning Review and Urban Planning International. He is a member of Board of Directors of International Association for China Planning. Before he started his academic career, he worked for Institute for Transportation and Development (as China Policy Director), University of California, Los Angeles (as Principal Transportation Planner while being a PhD student) and Federal Highway Administration (as Eisenhower Research Fellow while being a M.S. student).
B.E. (Tianjin); M.E. (Nanjing); M.S. (Illinois); PhD (USC)
· Zhou, J., Wang, Y., Cao, G. and Wang, S. Jobs-housing Balance and Development Zones in China. Urban Geography (In Press)
· Zhou, J. and Long, Y. 2014. Bus Commuters’ Jobs-housing Balance in Beijing: An Exploration Using Large-scale Synthesized Smart Card Data. Transportation Research Record 2418: 1-10 (Lead article).
· Zhou, J., Murphy, E. and Long, Y. 2014. Commuting Efficiency in the Beijing Metropolitan Area: An Exploration Combing Smartcard and Travel Survey Data. Journal of Transport Geography 41: 175-183.
· Zhou, J. 2012. Sustainable Commute in the Car-Dominant City: Factors Affecting Alternative Mode Choices among University Students. Transportation Research A 46(7): 1013-1029.
· Schweitzer, L. and Zhou, J. 2010. Neighborhood Air Quality, Respiratory Health, and Vulnerable Populations in Compact and Sprawled Regions. Journal of the American Planning Association 76(3):363-371.
· 2015-16 “Keeping the Bottom Line: Road-Based Accessibility to Essential Services among Rural Iowans”, $159,547, PI
Midwest Transportation Center, US Department of Transportation
· 2014-15 “Jobs-Housing Relation, Land Use and Commuting Efficiency: Case Studies of Three Chinese Cities”, RMB 60,000, PI
Peking University-The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
· 2014 “Transit Metropolis in China and Its Impacts on Emissions”, RMB 50,000, PI
GIZ, German Agency for International Cooperation
Planning Methods Studio; Urban Form; Urban Design Practices; Comparative Urbanism and Urban Studies; Transportation Policy and Planning; Sustainable Communities.